Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Progress?

Thanks for the yummy chicken and baked potato Jean and Gary! Just right!! It was so kind and very appreciated. Thanks for the flowers JoAnn and Terry. You are two of the dearest souls! AND an especially heartfelt thanks for all of your prayers and concern. I am so blessed and grateful.

I had mixed things up a bit. There was just too much information to keep it all straight. The infusion today was a steroid, Solumedrol. This will continue with 1000 mg IV daily for each of the initial three days. I will then start on high dose Prednisone by mouth for thirty days followed by thirty days of a chemo treatment, Cytoxan followed by thirty days of Prednisone etc. This will continue for six months with hopes that I will see results by then. The longest they can take this treatment is one year. I have a 30% chance of by body throwing off this assault against my kidneys.

Following the treatment at the hospital, I still felt lousy but good enough to pick up prescriptions and the very needed Peppermints at the drug store. I also got crab SUBWAY. This afternoon was a bit rough as I experienced extreme fatigue. The metalic taste in my mouth from the treatment is AWFUL! I had hoped it would go away but alas it seems it will be a part of my life for the next few days. Thank-goodness for Reed's Extra Ginger Ginger Beer and Cherry Ginger-Ale. Doublemint Gun seems to distract me for a while too.

While the last four days were quite rough and this morning started out very tough, when I came out of my deep sleep again at 4:00 this afternoon, I felt better than I have for a week. I still have a slight headache and the nasty taste but I have strength in my legs again and clear thinking. My right ankle is normal and the left one smaller than it has been in months. That IV carried a powerful punch. It makes me hopeful. I am sorry for rambling - so much to process.

My friend Carol Stewart will get me to and from the hospital the next two days. Thanks for your generous and kind willingness to help me Carol. I did well today, but with all of the new medications starting today, the warnings are that I should give some time to see my reactions before I drive. I believe in responding to cautions. I don't want to be undone on the road even if it is just a short 5 minute drive.

Love to you all, Mom/Wendy

No comments: