Thursday, February 24, 2011

Forward . . .

I'm with you Harry on the natural health solutions but in this case I am very thankful for the miracles of modern medicine. This is an auto-immune disorder and is very dangerous. My Dr. and I have tried less intensive solutions but things have progressively worsened in spite of our best efforts. Now is the time to really hit hard. I have hope that I will fall into the 30% who have complete remission. The bad news - my protein loss and cholesterol are way over the critical levels. (high risk protein loss is 8 grams - I am over 16 grams, my cholesterol is over 550 and climbing with 444 of that LDL. My triglycerides are 116 as well - Whew!) The good news, Dr. Haderlie says I am so healthy in all other respects that it is very unusual for someone with such a serious disorder. This is due to my taking such good care of myself physically over the years.

My thinking is clearer now that I am off of the two Statins that caused me trouble and led to the fire incident. Claigh's burn has healed nicely and he has overcome the worst of the shingles he was battling. I have to start a new statin next week in hopes of getting the cholesterol under control a bit. Non-flushing Niacin didn't do a thing for me. As I said the liver challenges are not related to diet but are a direct result of the immune system attack on my kidneys. We are hopeful I can tolerate this statin without muscle loss and mental confusion.

I had a great afternoon yesterday followed by a very difficult night and tough morning this morning. I struggled with a severe headache and bright-eyed sleeplessness. Tonight I will take a sleep aid - for me that is huge as I have an aversion to medicating myself but it is necessary if I want to keep my sanity.

The nurses at the infusion lab are wonderful. I am so thankful. It was recommended that I try Pepsi or Coke for the caffeine to combat headaches. OUCH! I have decided that instead of that I will do caffeinated Green Tea. Green Tea is great for kidneys and I have been using decaf for a while. By going this route, I will get the caffeine but not have the sugar/carbonation hit I would from the sodas. I could hardly raise my head with the pain this morning. I pray for inspiration as to the best solutions with the fewest side effects. My stomach has already been feeling the stress of the medications.

Carol was kind to get me to and from the hospital. That was a smart choice. I really wasn't fit for driving. What would I do without such good souls who are so willing to help out.

This afternoon is better again. I have managed the laundry and ironing. (Claigh's 7 white shirts a week habit over the years keeps me busy :D) It feels so good to get some things done. It does something positive for my psyche when I can work a bit. Claigh will do the grocery shopping on his way home from work tonight. Another friend is bringing dinner. I really appreciate this as it gives Claigh something tasty at the end of a very busy work days.

I missed you Alyssa and hope you get over your bug soon. I am still hoping to be strong enough Saturday to share the Julie Beck address with you.

No comments: