Friday, March 4, 2011

Me Again - Update

Thanks for allowing me to update without lengthy explanations over the phone . . . It isn't great to go over and over and over it all verbally :) and writing it allows me to more accurately express the situation. Verbally - moment to moment can shade the overall truth.

Yesterday was tough again but for tough, I must say, I am very blessed. The weakness was overwhelming. Thankfully this does not define my every moment of every day. However, it did mean my hopes for Relief Society last night were dashed. That is the honestly worst aspect of this fight. I am so flaky! I miss people!! I need to get out or burst!!! I constantly deal with weakness but manage very well for the most part. A visit from Steven and Alyssa provided a wonderful respite. I lay on the couch, they play games and laugh and challenge one another. It was good for Claigh to have some game time too.

For the first time since last July, I have two ankles that will fit into any of my shoes. (I have been restricted to one pair of sling Reems for months!) I also am able to pick up my feet and stand stable. Also, the new Stain is not impacting me negatively. I am so grateful to you Marissa for telling me of the need to take CoQ10 while on the Statin. You have made such a positive difference for me. I am thankful for your medical training and know your family and patients are blessed for your diligence.

I am learning to really be in tune with my body processing food. I find that it is unwise to go longer than 2 1/2 hours without eating something good. It may just be a light sodium multi-grain cracker with white cheddar or two OR an avocado but I need to be sure to stay on top of that if I do not want to fade away. I am also discovering how good salt free can taste! Who would have thought? When Dr. Haderlie first told me that he thoroughly enjoyed his eggs with no salt, I couldn't believe it. It is TRUE!! I have learned the real threats that come along with the high sodium intake in America.

When the doctor warned me of the challenges this treatment would bring with appetite, diabetes and irritability, I prayerfully came back to my long time study of health and nutrition. I take two Tablespoons of Nordic Fish Oil each day, an Omega 6 every other day, and usually eat an avocado a day. This healthy fat keeps me satiated and I have had no appetite surge. I also am back to a healthier regard for sweets! I have actually surmised that it is possible the rise in diabetes in America could be related not only to the high consumption of simple carbohydrates but also related to the lack of healthy fats in the diet. In this first completed week of treatment, I have dropped 11 pounds.

I actually began to format this "sweets/fats" line of thinking over the years I saw my father diet and do the "low fat" thing and yet consistently come up against his ever increasing weight. Dad was a strong man with a tremendous will and he was always starving himself to become "healthy." I am confident that the focus on pounds in the obesity battle which rages in our society is the completely wrong focus! I get leery of "way out there" or "extreme" diets as well. Good whole food in line with the Word of Wisdom is truly the way to go!! When we feed our bodies right, they have greatest opportunity to respond with the health and strength we need and we feel satisfied. My girls remember how strong I was against any "fat-free" or "diet" foods coming into my house when I raised them. It is amazing that I allowed myself to get away from this understanding for a time. Mother's give your children whole milk! (unless of course they have lactose intolerance as one of mine did :D)

I take my Calcium/D/Magnesium spread out over my three main meals. I am confident this aides in satiety as well as irritability issues.

More on the irritability and sleep issues - Of course you are going to be irritable if you are not sleeping. It is a fact that while on these high doses of steroids, if I do not do something, I will not sleep. (I had only 3 hours of sleep during the first 36 hours of treatment.) Dr. Haderlie prescribed a narcotic sleeping pill for me. I filled the prescription for "just in case" but as I read through the realities of that particular medication, I decided to follow his other suggestion that I might try an over the counter medication. I prayerfully decided to give Unisom a try. I use the Unisom that is safe for pregnant women. - Success - AND not as harsh on my body. I am constantly thankful for the guidance of the spirit in these decisions. Those of you who know me best, know I am NOT about taking pills. This decision has been quite the departure for me but the right way to go. I sleep. I do not feel tension. I am not teary.

Tamara - the fish dinner was absolutely delicious! I must get your salsa recipe. I have felt so badly to have any of you bring me food. Claigh and I can manage very well as it is just the two of us. Your offers are beyond generous but most important to me personally has been the kindness and love that you have shared. It has also been wonderful for Claigh to end a very full day with something loving prepared that is nutritious and tasty.

I enjoyed hearing your voice yesterday Sylvia and having a good laugh. Jean, your thoughtful check-ins are so very appreciated and the creamed peas & potatoes really hit the spot. To my beautiful daughters - What can I say. - I am a very blessed mom.

Kevin - Thanks for the thoughtful email. I agree. That being said, for now this treatment is right. It is giving me time. Further damage is stopped and I have time to do the study and implement efforts necessary to give myself the best possible outcome. This treatment is not a cure but it has the best record of success in giving a person's body the opportunity to right itself (30% chance.) I am going to continue to study, pray and do all in my power to follow the Spirit by providing my body with all it needs to recover full health.

I have dreams of a great future on this earth, teaching and loving children around the world. People are my passion. I love to teach. I am confident the Lord is mindful of me and will use me to His best advantage if I am willing to follow whatever path he leads me down. I pray to do my best and leave to God the rest.

1 comment:

Wendy Jensen said...

Ellen said...
You are truly a gift and inspiration. Thank you for sharing your update. I think about you often.
Blessings, Ellen
March 4, 2011 2:24 PM

Jeanne Anderson said...
Thanks for keeping us posted Wendy! I sure have been thinking a lot about you lately. That is too bad that you couldn't make it to RS on Thurs. I looked around for you hoping you'd be able to make it. Your wonderful spirit and personality is always a joy to be around. Even when you are suffering. You are the salt of the earth and I am praying for your health! I am here if you ever need anything. Even if its just a visit!
March 5, 2011 8:14 AM

(These comments were posted and have been transferred from my personal faith blog.)