Saturday, September 19, 2009

Bear World - Reunion 2009 Part 4


One thing that I had really looked forward to this year was the trip to Bear World with the Stalcups, Andersons, and Stewarts. However, Wednesday morning dawned with the minor molar pain from the night before intensified into drive me crazy pain. While the Baileys headed out for a family day and the others made their way to Bear World, I spent my time at first the dentist and then in emergency root canal surgery at the endodontist. Unfortunately I have a history of very bad teeth but the timing on this dental crisis couldn't have been worse. I was pretty frazzled by the end of the ordeal. (I left the endodontist office at about 3:00.)

From all reports, the family had a wonderful time at Bear World, the Baileys saw the hospital their mother was born in and ate at Craigos, and Alyssa had a good day at work. Todd had to head for work in Ogden that night and slowly the family began to leave.

I don't take well to the medications and anesthesia they have to use for root-canal surgery and this put me under a bit of stress for Thursday and Friday. I was not good for much BUT thankfully I did get to enjoy Bear World in 2008 with the Baileys AND I have had Craigos yummy chicken ranch pizza. I was disappointed to miss out on the fun none-the-less. I have yet to go disk-golfing. Claigh, Todd, Jared, Steve, Elijah, Jonah, Jacob and Noah had some fun on our beautiful course in Freeman Park. I'll have to get busy before the snow flies so I can sharpen some yet to be developed talent. It will be fun to give the boys a run for their money next visit.

Sara and Jared headed out early Friday, Ashlee and Steve Saturday and Carey and the kids stayed for a few more days. Carey and I made the most of our time by puzzling over the coconut filled chocolate cookies from Geraldine's Bakery here in Idaho Falls and determined to figure out our own recipe. Surely we could do something as wonderful for a lot less than $2 a cookie!

One of the great mysteries was how they got the coconut inside of the cookie. I asked the baker at Geraldine's and she just laughed, "We buy them frozen and bake them." Boy did that burst my impression of bakery life!

Carey and I had a couple of not so good attempts. First - Okay but chocolate was a bit weak. Then the coconut wasn't quite right. One thought added to another until we had a clear idea of what would work. Third time - SUCCESS! And we believe they are better than Geraldine's!! The Bailey kids named our creation "Cooffles" because in their minds they were cookie truffles.

I am very grateful for a wonderful family. Family was my dream as a little girl and Heavenly Father has blessed me richly!



No comments: