Sunday, September 7, 2008

My favorite thing of the whole day was the rustic tree on top of Inferno Cone. It's roots were gnarled and must have sunk deep into the rock. Truly it seemed a miracle that it had been able to take hold and survive. It was a good size and looked like a wizened old man who had weathered the storms of life with great tenacity. The lesson I had been preparing for Sunday was on "Rooted on the Rock" and so my spirit was tender towards this old tree. It was a great metaphor for the strength and power that come to us as we are rooted in the Rock of our Redeemer. For me the truth of the capacity and strength of the Savior to help us withstand the great trials of life is very real. It may seem odd but I wanted to hang out with the tree for a while. You could say I am a tree hugger I guess!

As we drove away from the Inferno Cone we saw that the back side of this great black cinder mountain looked like it had a case of chicken pox. The whole south slope of the cone was spotted with buckwheat. These close to the ground little clumps were about three to four inches in diameter and spaced about two feet apart - quite an intriguing site. I wonder if this is "the" buckwheat we love so much in our pancakes?

All too soon it was time to head home. I look forward to another adventure at Craters of the Moon. It is perfect for a visit in June or September. I can't imagine walking for miles over the barren black rock in the heat of July or August even if it is just "Idaho" heat. We arrived home with a specimen of every Idaho bug plastered on our windshield and grill. Sorry Claigh :o)

FYI there is a small camp grounds in the park - first come first serve for the most part with a few reserved spots available.

No comments: