Friday, August 15, 2008

Back to Health

With all of the constant change, travel and upheaval, I have struggled to keep my pursuit of good health and well-being since December 2007. That which matters most to me is the well-being of my spirit. How would we survive challenging times without the precious word of God and the possibilities of prayer? As I look back on my life and consider the times that were most difficult, time and time again the love of my Heavenly Father, my faith in my Savior, and the power of the Holy Ghost have brought me through. Instead of beaten down, I find my self strengthened. The study of the Old Testament and Book of Mormon for the past year have been a mainstay as I have "kept on keeping on." I marvel at the power available to each of God's children. I pray that my children and grandchildren choose to dwell in the full blessings of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

As for the physical, I have really allowed myself to take a downhill trend these past months. I found myself too tired or too distracted to maintain my yoga and exercise programs. It was more of a challenge to eat well on the road also and with the added business of preparing a house for sale and making a major move I found that which was quick and/or prepared in restaurants more handy. As I ate more sweets, my desire for the things that are not so good for me increased along with the stress of the days.

Reading President Monson's remarks in the August Ensign has inspired me to get back on track. It is good to be home and ready to settle in to preparing our meals once again. This morning I started my yoga program. YIKES! It is amazing how much you loose when you neglect your physical health for so long - especially at my age. Oh well, I will pay the price and move forward. I hope for many years ahead to enjoy my dear family and I pray that I will be able to do so in good health. I love teaching. I enjoy the association of so many good souls who I am blessed to call friends and I have more friends to make. Life is a gift!

From President Monson:
"How fragile life, how certain death. We do not know when we will be required to leave this mortal existence. And so I ask, 'What are we doing with today?' If we live only for tomorrow, we’ll eventually have a lot of empty yesterdays. Have we been guilty of declaring, 'I’ve been thinking about making some course corrections in my life. I plan to take the first step—tomorrow'? With such thinking, tomorrow is forever. Such tomorrows rarely come unless we do something about them today. . .

"Let us ask ourselves the questions: "Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need?” What a formula for happiness! What a prescription for contentment, for inner peace—to have inspired gratitude in another human being.

"Our opportunities to give of ourselves are indeed limitless, but they are also perishable. There are hearts to gladden. There are kind words to say. There are gifts to be given. There are deeds to be done. There are souls to be saved."

For President Monson's complete remarks:
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=8669dd48c4a6b110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=true

No comments: